Here are just some of the advantages you might want to think about as you are considering a homeschooling lifestyle. This is only a partial list. Any homeschooling family could come up with more items for the list. We hope this list sparks your thought processes, and helps you with your decision.
Advantages of Homeschooling
- Parents are with their children all day.
- Parents know and understand their children, and are influential in their lives, even as they enter the teen years.
- Homeschooling prevents premature parent-child separation, avoiding inappropriate pressure on children.
- Parents and other adults are the primary role models for homeschooled children
- Children are allowed to mature at their own speeds, no “hurried child” syndrome.
- Homeschooling provides positive and appropriate socialization with peers and adults.
- Homeschooled children are largely free from peer pressure.
- Homeschooled children are comfortable interacting with people of all ages.
- Homeschooled children view adults as an integrated part of their world and as natural partners in learning.
- A child’s natural thirst for learning is nurtured, not squelched, and learning becomes a lifelong joy.
- Each child’s education can be tailored to his or her unique interests, pace, and learning style.
- Homeschooling children have time to pursue their special interests and talents.
- Homeschooled children become independent thinkers who are secure in their own convictions.
- Family values and beliefs are central to social, emotional and academic development.
- Family life revolves around its own needs and priorities rather than the demands of school.
- Homeschooling creates/maintains positive sibling relationships.
- Homeschooling promotes good communication and emotional closeness within a family.
- Research shows that the two most important factors in reading and overall educational success are positive home influence and parental involvement; homeschooling provides both.
- Homeschoolers enjoy unlimited educational resources; the world is our classroom, and resources abound in the community.
- Homeschooling provides a high adult/child ratio for the student.