Homeschooling 101

We want to make this process as seamless as possible. Here we have all of the things you need to know and or accomplish on your homeschooling journey. If after reading through this section, you still have questions, we are always available to answer them.

Introduction to Homeschool Video

Below is a video alternative to the seminars that we offer from time to time.

  • Introduction to Homeschool

First Steps – Getting Started

Compulsory Attendance

The first thing to understand is that compulsory attendance in WA is from ages 8-18. Children under the age of 8 are not required to attend school, including homeschool. Therefore, none of the HBI (home-based instruction, the legal name for homeschooling) laws apply to children under the age of 8. Those children remain educationally free.
Click Here for More Information

Declaration of Intent

  1. Beginning on your child’s 8th birthday, you must either enroll in a school, or homeschool. To homeschool, you must qualify, declare intent, begin to cover the 11 subjects, test or assess annually, and keep certain records. More on each of these here. Please note that ALEs, online schools, PPPs, etc., even those which take place in the home, are not homeschooling under WA law. Public school laws apply to those programs and are not covered in this document.
  2. The first Declaration of Intent should be submitted when your child turns 8. The second and subsequent will be filed on the 15th of September each year there after. The law requires only your child’s name and age, as well as your name and address (so the district knows you’ve filed in the right place) on the DofI. Many schools ask for more information than is required by law. You are not obliged to provide it. There is a DofI that is in compliance with the law here.
  3. It should be sent to the superintendent of your local school district (usually in the district office — the address will be on the district’s website). If you are unsure of which district you reside in, telephone the local school – they will be able to tell you, based on your address.
  4. I used to send in two copies with an SASE; my district would stamp my copy and send it back for my files. This is not necessary, but it useful for showing places where you’d like to get an educator discount
    Click Here for More Information

Qualifying to Homeschool

You only need meet one of the qualifications:
  • Either 45 college quarter credit hours (about 24-30 semester hours, or one year full time college work) in any subject;
  • OR take a Parent Qualifying Course;
  • OR hire a teacher to supervise;
  • OR gain superintendent approval.

We have virtual Parent Qualifying Courses throughout the year , and we keep a list of folks who offer it across the state on our website.  Consider joining us on Facebook as well for up to day information, the Email of the Day, and homeschool encouragement.
Click Here for More Information

Withdrawing from Public School

If your child is already in school, then you need to formally withdraw h**. The school usually has a form for this, but you could write a letter that says roughly this: I [Name of Parent] hereby formally withdraw [Name of Student(s)] from [Name of School], effective [Date of Withdraw]. Then sign it and date it. If your child is >8yo, you will need to file a Declaration of Intent that same day in the superintendent’s office. If the child is <8yo, you wait until h** birthday to submit the Declaration of Intent. Many school officials erroneously believe that if the child was in school before, even if *he is 5, 6, or 7, that you must file a Declaration of Intent. This is a common misconception that is contrary to the compulsory attendance law. You may withdraw a child from public school at any point in the school year.

11 Required Subjects

You do not need to cover the 11 subjects every day, every week, or even every year. Some are meant for the lower grades (social studies); some are meant for the upper grades (history). In the public schools, occupational education is that one day that the police officer, firefighter, and doctor parents come in and share about their jobs. PE is not a required subject (though it might certainly fall under health, which is), nor is literature (which just makes me cringe).
Click Here for More Information

Annual Testing

You have a choice to test OR to assess annually. The test must be an academic achievement test given by a qualified individual. It is the testing companies that qualify individuals to proctor their tests. Some require a bachelor’s degree, some an advanced degree in psychology plus specialized training in that test, and others simply require that you be a homeschooling parent in WA. The assessment must be performed by a certificated person currently working in the field of education.
Click Here for More Information


  • Your homeschool records should include the student’s annual test scores or assessment report and immunization records, together with any other records that are kept relating to instructional and educational activities.
  • The law is not specific on how or in what form these records are to be kept.
  • These are your private records and do not need to be shared with any state agency.
  • These records can, and probably will be, requested by school administration if your child is later enrolled in a traditional school setting.

How, When, Where You Homeschool

These are choices that are completely up to you. The law specifically states that “parents who are causing their children to receive home-based instruction shall be subject only to those minimum state laws and regulations which are necessary in ensuring that a sufficient basic educational opportunity is provided to the children receiving such instruction. Therefore, all decisions relating to philosophy or doctrine, selection of books, teaching materials and curriculum, and methods, timing and place in the provision or evaluation of home-based instruction shall be the responsibility of the parent. The homeschool law also states that the legislature recognizes that home-based instruction is less structured and more experiential than the instruction normally provided in a classroom. Therefore, the provisions relating to the nature and quantity of instructional and related educational activities shall be liberally construed.”


You are free to choose any curriculum, or to choose none. Find what works for you and yours, don’t bother trying to “keep up with the Joneses,” and you’ll see very quickly that your kids will excel in some areas, and not in others. It’s okay. Play to their strengths, mitigate their weaknesses, help them develop a sense of wonder, a love of learning, and foster their innate curiosity. The rest will take care of itself.


Be sure to check out our Intro to Homeschooling series.  This will answer 99.9% of all of your questions.


A Helpful List

  • File a Declaration of Intent to Homeschool if your child is 8 to 18 years old.
  • Be sure you Qualify to Homeschool in one of the 4 ways.
  • Withdraw your child(ren) from public school if they have been attending one.
  • Begin to cover the 11 Required Subjects
  • Have your child(ren) tested or assessed annually
  • Keep the required records
  • Find a homeschool support group or co-op

Important Files

There are two very important forms you will need to submit to the school district before you begin homeschooling.

  1. If your child is already in school, then you need to formally withdraw h**.
  2. If your child is 8 years of age and up, you will need to file a Declaration of Intent that is submitted to the school district in which you reside.
  • Declaration of Intent

    This statement must be filed annually by September 15 or within two weeks of the beginning of any public school quarter, trimester, or semester. Send this form to the superintendent of the public school district within which you reside, or the district that accepts the transfer.
  • Formal Withdrawal Letter for Children Under 8

    Withdrawal from Public School form for any child under 8 years of age.
  • Formal Withdrawal Letter for Children 8+

    Withdrawal from Public School form for any child over 8 years of age.

Let's stay in touch.

Communicating with WHO members and homeschoolers throughout the state on issues of importance has always been a major objective of the organization. Sign-up for our newsletter so you never miss out.

Newsletter Signup