State Requirements

Email of the Day:
What is required to make sure the home schooling we complete will be recognized and meet the state requirements?
The home schooling we are considering is just for the remainder of this school year – 10th grade.

Homeschoolers’ requirements are different from public schoolers’ requirements. Homeschoolers are required to cover the 11 subjects ( reading, writing, spelling, language, math, science, social studies, history, health, occupational education, and art and music appreciation) over the course of their homeschooling. They do not have specific highschool requirements beyond this.

According to state law (RCW 28A.200.010(1)(b)), ” At the time of a transfer to a public school, the superintendent of the local school district in which the child enrolls may require a standardized achievement test to be administered and shall have the authority to determine the appropriate grade and course level placement of the child after consultation with parents and review of the child’s records.”

The school has to sit down with you, but they don’t have to take any of your work as credit toward graduation.

If your intent is to remove your student for the remainder of this year and to transfer back next year with the goal of graduating in 2018, I would sit down with the school before you make this move, and get an agreement, in writing, that will ensure the coursework transfers in.

If your intent is to send your student to Running Start next year as a homeschooler, or to continue homeschooling through graduation, then you need not concern yourself with the public school graduation requirements.

Please let me know as you have further questions.
–Jen Garrison Stuber, WHO Board Advocacy Chair

Support WHO — become a member: