Homeschooling in a group, away from home

Email of the Day:
Hi, my husband and I are wanting to have our daughter homeschooled, but not have him or I do teach her. We would like to have her go to a group away from home. Is there anything like that in the East Bremerton area? We are new to homeschooling and aren’t sure where to begin. She would be in kindergarten.

In WA law, homeschooling is defined as being provided “by a parent, educating his or her child only.”

Education that’s not public school but is in a “group away from home” would be private schooling in our state.

There are also some non-traditional public school programs called ALEs (Alternative Learning Experiences) in our state. Your local public school will have a list of the programs in your district.

If you are looking for someone else to educate your daughter in a group setting that’s similar to homeschooling, I would look for a private school that utilizes the Montessori, Waldorf, or Sudbury model.


–Jen Garrison Stuber, WHO Board Advocacy Chair